Frequently Asked Questions

This section contains frequently asked questions on the RP-T, extension of endorsement procedure and personal income tax for RP-T holders. If you are unable to find an answer to your question, kindly contact us via the email form here.
  • General Questions
  • New Application
  • RP-T POST 10 – Years
  • Transfer of Endorsement
  • Extension of Endorsement (Renewal)
  • Personal Income Tax For RP-T Holders
General Questions
New Application
  • I would like to apply for the RP-T. What should I do?
    The first step is to register for an account on the RP-T Portal. The RP-T portal is a system that is used by applicants to initiate RP-T applications, upload required documents, communicate with the RP-T Secretariat who processes the applications and monitor the progress of your RP-T application.

    Once you have an account, you will be requested to complete your RP-T application and upload the required documents to the portal.
  • How can I activate my account?
    Once you have filled out your details on the portal, click on the “Activate” button next to your registered email address to activate your account. Kindly check your junk/spam folder as RP-T emails may be directly sent to these folders.
  • I have registered for an RP-T account and have not received my activation email.
    Kindly check your spam or junk email folder as RP-T emails may be directly sent to these folders. In the event you cannot locate the email there, please contact us at
  • My Employment Pass (EP) validity is less than 3 months after I submitted my RP-T application. If my documents are incomplete, can I resubmit my RP-T application without renewing my EP?
    No, you will need to renew your EP before resubmitting the application. Submissions/resubmissions will not be permitted on the portal if the EP validity is less than 3 months. An application will only be considered as complete once all required documents have been submitted/resubmitted.
  • What is the method of payment to Talent Corporation Malaysia Berhad and Ketua Pengarah Imigresen Malaysia?
    Payment to Talent Corporation Malaysia Berhad can be made via online payment, credit, or debit card. For payments to the Immigration Department, payment can be made via online payment, credit, or debit card.
  • What happens to my Employment Pass (EP) once I am awarded the RP-T?
    The RP-T applicant will be required to shorten the current pass in the passport. This will be applicable to all passes that are linked to the main applicant (e.g., spouse and dependent). The Immigration Department will endorse the RP-T sticker (s) once this process is done.
  • What is the turnaround time for the application?
    New applications
    Application Approval (Stage 1)
    21 working days - Application to be processed with complete documents
    10 working days - Notification to be sent on status of application
    Endorsement (Stage 2)
    14 working days - Upon submission of complete documents for endorsement, up to approval by the Immigration Department.
    7 working days - Upon initiation of STEP 5: sticker printing (Immigration payment and submission), up to sticker delivery to the applicant by Pos Malaysia
    Transfer of endorsement (ToE)
    3 to 5 working days - Application to be processed for approval by Immigration Department
    Renewal/Extension of Endorsement
    14 working days - Upon submission of complete documents for endorsement, until approval by the Immigration Department
    7 working days - Upon initiation of STEP 5: sticker printing (Immigration payment and submission), up to sticker delivery to the applicant by Pos Malaysia
    Shorten pass
    5 working days - Applications to be processed and shortened by Immigration Department.
    The above timeline is based on complete documents submitted and subject to the discretion of the Immigration Department. Note that the Immigration Department has the right to request for additional documentation, if necessary.
    • All documents provided for an application must meet format specifications as stated on the RP-T website.
    • All information/documents provided will also be verified for accuracy by the RP-T processing team before an application is considered complete.
    • If any information/documents are found to be incomplete, the applicant will be notified and advised of their next steps.
  • Will my employer be consulted as part of the RP-T application process? If yes, who will call my employer?
    Yes, the assessment team will contact your employer to verify the No Objection Letter that was submitted during the application process.
  • Who is eligible to be my local contact person?
    Any Malaysian citizen aged 21 years and above, currently employed and residing in Malaysia, is eligible to be a local contact person for any RP-T applicant.
  • Do I need to submit a copy of the local contact person’s NRIC (MyKad)?
    Yes, you are required to submit a copy of the front and back of the local sponsor’s NRIC (MyKad).
  • Will my family be eligible for the RP-T as well?
    Immediate members (spouse and children below 18 years) of the family of an RP-T holder are eligible for the RP-T dependent pass.
  • Can my spouse work in Malaysia as a RP-T dependent pass holder?
    Yes. The spouse of a RP-T holder may work in Malaysia.
  • Are parents / parents-in-law of an approved RP-T holder eligible to receive the RP-T as well?
    No. However, the parents and parents-in-law of an approved RP-T holder are eligible for a renewable one-year Social Visit Pass for up to five years.
  • I have a newborn son/daughter who was born in Malaysia, when can I add him/her as my dependent?
    You can add your newborn son/daughter once he/she has received his/her international passport. The add dependent application must be submitted within 6 months after the child was born.
  • If I have a Common Law Spouse and he/she has a child who is not my biological child, can the child be included as my Dependent?
    The child is eligible for a Long-Term Social Visit Pass until 6 years of age. Thereafter, they may be eligible for a student pass if they are pursuing their education in Malaysia.
  • Can an agent/appointed person submit an RP-T application on behalf of an applicant?
    No agent/appointed person are allowed to submit any RP-T applications on behalf of an applicant. RP-T applicants are required to submit their application by themselves through our online service.
  • Must the Recommendation Letter (from a Regulatory Agency) be in Bahasa Malaysia?
    We accept Recommendation Letters either in Bahasa Malaysia or English.
  • To whom should the Recommendation Letter be addressed to?
    The Government has appointed TalentCorp to liaise with the RP-T applicants and we are partnering with the MYXpats Centre to implement this initiative. Please address the letter to:
    MYXpats Centre Sdn Bhd
    Level 4, Surian Tower,
    No 1, Jalan PJU 7/3, Mutiara Damansara,
    47810 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
    Attn: Residence Pass-Talent Secretariat
  • I am self-employed, who can be the signatory person for my no objection letter?

    If you are the sole person in the company and there is no employee, other Director, or shareholder, you can sign the No Objection letter.

  • My application was unsuccessful recently, can I appeal?

    Please be informed that In line with the official notice of instruction by the Immigration Department of Malaysia (JIM), please be advised that we will no longer accept requests for appeals for unsuccessful NEW and POST 10 YEARS RP-T applications with effect from 1 June 2023.

  • Since I can no longer appeal for my unsuccessful application, how soon can I re-apply?

    The cooling off period for new submission is 1 year. Thus, you can only re-apply one year after your application was unsuccessful.

  • I need to speak to someone about my RP-T application, who should I contact?

    You can email to or call 03-7839 7171 to speak to our customer relationship officer.

RP-T POST 10 – Years
Transfer of Endorsement
  • What is Transfer of Endorsement (TOE)?
    Transfer of endorsement is transferring the existing RP-T sticker to the new passport. The validity will be the same and will not be extended.
  • Can I submit the request for Transfer of Endorsement if my current pass validity is less than 6 months?
    The TOE can only be done by those with a new passport and their current RP-T pass having more than 6 months of validity.
  • What happens if I have a new passport and my current pass is less than 6 months?
    You will have to submit a renewal application if your 10 years approval still have a remaining balance of more than 6 months or Post 10 years application if you almost complete your 10 years approval.
  • If I have a new passport, can I submit an online application for the transfer of endorsement process?
    Applicants are required to submit a request for update details in the system and thereafter proceed to submit an appointment request via MYHelp system for transfer of endorsement.
  • Can I request the Pass Delivery service for the Transfer of Endorsement process?
    No. The passport(s) need to be submitted for transfer of endorsement to the MYXpats Centre via MyHelp appointment request.
  • How much are the fees for the transfer of endorsement?
    There are no extra fees charged for the processing of transfer of endorsement. However, fees will be charged for the Immigration Pass and Multiple Entry Visa depending on the applicant’s nationality. Please click Charges vary across countries.
  • How long does it take to complete the transfer of endorsement process?
    The application will be processed within 5 working days after the submission of passport(s) to the MYXpats Centre. Applicants will be notified via email when the passport(s) is ready for collection.
  • Do I need to cancel the old passport before the transfer of endorsement process?
    Yes, the old passport needs to be cancelled before the appointment for the transfer of endorsement.
Extension of Endorsement (Renewal)
Personal Income Tax For RP-T Holders
  • As a RP-T holder, do I have to file my Malaysian income tax return any differently from prior years?
    No. As per prior years, you are required to file your Malaysian tax return and pay any balance of taxes by 30 April following the calendar year in which income is derived. Please note that electronic filing is encouraged by the Lembaga Hasil Dalam Negeri Malaysia (Inland Revenue Board Of Malaysia).
  • As an RP-T holder, do I have to report my rental / dividend / interest / other personal income, which I received in my home country, for income tax purposes in Malaysia?
    Malaysia adopts a territorial scope of taxation in which only income derived in Malaysia is subject to Malaysian income tax laws. As such, any income received in your home country is not subject to Malaysian income tax since it is not Malaysian-sourced income.
  • How about my employment income which is paid into an overseas account? As a RP-T holder, do I have to report this income for taxation purposes in Malaysia?
    In cases where part of your Malaysian employment income is paid into an overseas bank account, the said income is a taxable Malaysian-sourced income as it is derived from your employment exercised in Malaysia.
  • Would a RP-T holder be entitled to pay lower personal income taxes or have any special tax benefits?
    Generally, tax residents in Malaysia pay lower taxes and are entitled to tax reliefs. Tax residence status is based on an individual’s physical presence in Malaysia, regardless of the type of immigration pass held.
    An individual is regarded as a tax resident if he meets any of the following conditions, eg if he is:
    • Present in Malaysia for at least 182 days in calendar year.  
    • Present <182 days in calendar year, but linked to a period of >182 consecutive days in the following / preceding calendar year, including brief temporary absences during that period.
    • Present in Malaysia >90 days in year, and resident or present >90 days in any three of the four immediately preceding years  
    • Resident in Malaysia in the following calendar year and 3 immediate preceding years.  

    If you meet the above conditions, you are entitled to claim personal tax reliefs and your taxable income (net of tax relief) be taxed at progressive tax rates (from 0 to 26%).  

    Non-tax residents are not entitled to claim any tax reliefs and their Malaysian-sourced income is taxed at a flat rate of 26%. 
  • As a RP-T holder, do I need to contribute to the Malaysian Employees Provident Fund (EPF)?
    It is not mandatory for foreigners to contribute to the EPF. However, you may contribute on a voluntary basis, provided that your employer is also agreeable to contribute the employer’s portion of the EPF contribution.
    Please note that the current statutory contribution rates are as follows:
    • Employer: 12%  
    • Employee: 11%  

    By contributing to the EPF, you are entitled to an annual tax relief of up to RM6,000 (maximum relief for contributions to EPF and life insurance premium). At the same time, the employer’s portion of the EPF contributions is not taxable upon withdrawal (conditions apply for withdrawal of the EPF). 
2024 © Talent Corporation Malaysia Berhad (201001035653)| All Rights Reserved | Terms & Conditions
Generic Popup